Clogs form for a variety of reasons, and while some home tools and remedies fix the problem, often, it’s only temporary. Whether it’s the kitchen, the bathroom, the utility room, or any other room with a drain, AM PM Plumbing is the Murrieta area’s go-to drain cleaning company. Contact us to find out more.
A burst pipe can wreak havoc on your home. Check out our burst pipe repair services today.
Common Causes for Blocked Drains
While a clogged drain may seem like a minor issue, the truth is that they can quickly escalate into major problems if not dealt with immediately. Clogged drains can lead to slow water drainage, corrosion, burst pipe, and sewage backup. Here are the most common causes of clogged drains.
- Hair — Hair is a significant factor in blocked drains because it binds with grease and soap to form clogs.
- Soap — Some bars of soap are made with grease or fat, both of which combine with minerals in the water and clogs pipes.
- Dirt — Dirt from your clothes can build up in the drains, so it’s wise to get as much mud and dirt off before throwing them in the wash.
- Food Debris — Unless you have a garbage disposal, food waste should never go down the drain. Instead, dump it in the trash.
- Minerals — Dissolved minerals in water can build up and cause a mass that blocks pipes. If you have hard water, this could be an issue.
- Non-flushable Items — Don’t flush non-flushable items like paper towels, personal wipes, or feminine products down the toilet.
- Tree Roots — A small crack in an underground pipe is an invitation for tree roots, and once inside, they grow and choke off the water flow.
Why You Need Professional Drain Cleaning
Clogs are a common household problem, and while plungers and chemicals work, they sometimes don’t get to the heart of the problem or can damage older pipes. Hiring a professional to clean your drains has several advantages. For one, pros get deep into the system to remove the clog at the source, which leaves pipes cleaner for longer. Regular drain cleaning puts an end to recurring clogs and protects your plumbing. Lastly, if you have foul odors coming out of your drains, pro drain cleaning virtually eliminates that problem.
Have you noticed a sudden spike in your water bills? It could be an undetected water leak. Check out our water leak detection service then call for an appointment.
How to Prevent Clogged Drains
The best way to handle a clogged drain is to prevent one from happening in the first place. In the kitchen, don’t pour coffee grounds, cooking grease, or food waste into the drain; put these materials into the trash instead. Be mindful of what you flush down the toilet. Don’t flush any items like wipes, paper towels, dental floss, or hygiene products. Consider using mesh covers in the bathroom to prevent hair from going down the drain. Lastly, call a drain cleaning company for annual drain cleaning.